The Fire Service in Nigeria was established in 1901, as an arm of the Lagos Police Fire brigade. In April1963, an act of Parliament established the Federal Fire Service.
The Federal Fire Service (FFS) has the statutory responsibility for rescue fire prevention, mitigation, fire fighting as well as paramedical and information services. The Federal Government reform of the Fire Services in the country in 2007 redefined the mandate of the Service as Regulation of the State and Private Fire Services, Prescription and monitoring of standards for the promotion of fire education, fire prevention, safety, mitigation and investigation, Ensuring effective discharge of the functions of the State Fire Services, Provision of policy direction for the Nation’s Fire Services, Ensuring the standardization of fire and rescue equipment manufactured or imported into Nigeria, Encouraging the establishment by the State Fire Services of adequate number of fire stations and fire posts, Establishing the National Fire Academy to meet the training requirements of fire fighters in the country and beyond and Coordination of national emergencies.
The Federal Government reform of the Federal Fire Service in 2007, redefined the mandate of the service which includes:
- Regulation of the state and Private Fire Services
- Prescription and Monitoring of standards for the promotion of fire education/enlightenment
- Fire prevention, safety, mitigation and investigation
- Ensuring effective discharge of the functions of the State Fire Services
- Provision of fire service policies
- Ensuring the standardization of fire and rescue equipments manufactured or imported into Nigeria
- Encouraging the establishment of fire stations in the country
The Mandate of the Federal Fire Service also Includes:
- Fire risk assessment in public buildings.
- Enforcement of fire safety regulations in public buildings.
- Inspection of construction works to ensure compliance with safety designs.
- Fire safety awreness and education campaigns
- Capacity building nd manpower development of the nation’s fire service through NFA.
- Preparation of fire reports.
- Issuance of fire certificates.
- Regulation and registration of private fire outfits.